Tuesday, January 20, 2015

TCPMon to Monitor Messages

TCPMon is a tool which can be used to monitor the TCP based messages. Here I'm going to describe the steps to follow in order to monitor the messages using TCPMon.

I have two applications talking to each other.

One is WSO2 Identity Server, running on port 9443 in my local machine. The other is a web application deployed on Tomcat (port 8080).

The message exchange I want to monitor, happens in between the below endpoints. 

https://localhost:9443/samlsso
http://localhost:8080/travelocity.com/samlsso

To the Identity server the known endpoint of the other application is bind to port 8080. 

I need to monitor the messages send to port 8080, so what I need to do is just to change the Tomcat server's port. I changed it to 8081.

Then configured the TCPMon.



Listen port is configured as 8080. So all the messages send to 8080, comes to the TCPMon.

Then selected the option Listener. Then put the Tomcat server's hostname (127.0.0.1) as Target Hostname and the port (8081) as the Target port.

Here, what happens is TCPMon receives the messages come into port 8080 and forward to the port 8081 of the given host.

Now the messages can be seen through TCPMon.

No comments: